Monday, September 27, 2010

'A' Is for Autumn and Apples

I was so excited last week when I discovered Fresh Market got its first shipment of Honeycrisp apples. 

While I was out running errands Friday, I picked up five for $12.  At $2.98/pound on sale, these are some pricey - and enormous - apples, but well worth the splurge in my book.  I am not an "apple" person but I love these crispy beauties. 

Yesterday, I saw them at Walmart for $1.98/pound.  I don't think I have ever seen them priced so low, and I purchased one to see if it's the same quality as Fresh Market's.   Oh, yeah.  I have a feeling you'll be seeing a few apple recipes in upcoming posts.

Honeycrisps generate such excitement because of their sweet and tart flavors and extreme juiciness, as well as their limited availability:  September through December.   I look forward to cooking with them, since Fresh Market claims they are good baking apples, too. 

Oh, how I love fall!  Despite the 90-degree temperatures, I'll pretend there is a nip in the air and cook all my seasonal favorites anyway.  That's how we roll in Florida.

No comments:

Post a Comment