Friday, September 3, 2010

The Turkey Cutlet Challenge



As I contemplated the flaccid turkey cutlets I pulled out of the refrigerator last night, I wondered what I was going to create to make them taste like anything other than cardboard.  Marsala, Parmesan, and sage and brown butter all ran through my mental recipe index. 

It's hard to get fired up about turkey cutlets, but they are one quick dinner to put on the table - and they're good for you.  They are lean, which spells healthful, but they also don't have the robust flavor and moisture that fat transmits.   They scream for seasoning and a ladle of sauce.  So here's a tasty recipe I made last night, and I recommend trying it if you are in a hurry and the humble turkey cutlet shows up in your very own at-home quick-fire challenge:

Turkey-Basil Piccata
(Unknown Origin - My Old Recipe Box)

4 T. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 (3/4 pound) package of turkey cutlets
2 T. olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 tsp. dried basil, or 2 T. chopped fresh basil
1/2 C dry white wine, or chicken broth
1 1/2 T. fresh lemon juice
1 lemon, sliced

Combine the first three ingredients.  Dredge each cutlet in flour mixture, shaking off excess.  Pour olive oil into skillet; cook cutlets over medium-high heat.  Remove.  Add garlic and basil to skillet; cook 45 seconds.  Add wine or broth, lemon juice and lemon slices.  Cook 45 seconds, stirring constantly.  Return cutlets to pan and heat through.   Garnish with fresh basil and lemon slices.

Notes:  I served this over multigrain farfalle, hit with a splash of good olive oil, and salt and pepper (adding some butter would make it even better), along with a salad of fresh spinach chock-full of hard-boiled egg and red onion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment